To develop a strong understanding of composite materials. Learn about the various mainstream manufacturing methods, develop a strong understanding of the role of constituents in overall response of composite lamina, and how a set of laminae with different orientations affects the overall laminate properties and response. Finally apply these concepts to analyze and design fiber-reinforced composites for engineering applications.
Mark E. Tuttle, “Structural Analysis of Polymeric Composite Materials”, Second Edition.
- Introduction to the history and background of composite materials for aerospace applications
- Overview of fibers and resins types
- Overview of manufacturing techniques
- Stress-Strain relations for anisotropic elasticity
- Classical Lamination Theory
- Stress Analysis and Failure Criteria
- Structural Testing
- Bending of composites laminates
- Buckling of composites laminates
- Fracture Mechanic models
- Stress Concentrations
- Damage Tolerance considerations